Background

Monday 31 December 2012

Reflecting on 2012

This year has most certainly been a year to remember. It has been filled with lots of family togetherness including family campouts, birthday celebrations, oktoberfesting and the usual fishing derby.

It has been a year of growing - from watching our niece and nephew Ava & Kalvan going to school, growing and learning each day to seeing our step-brother and sister become new parents to their sweet daughter Mazie who is just over 2 months old now.

The year 2012 has also been a year of love and loss; in 2012 I married my best friend, but I also suffered the loss of my nana.


Grandma (right) with her younger sister Bernice
The loss of my nana was something that will never go away. She was a strong woman whose life only stopped because of Leukemia. She never let her sickness get to her. In fact, I almost think she became stronger because of it. She had her mind and wit until the very end which we are all thankful for.


Grandma and Grandpa Graham, 1945

My nana and I shared a special bond which started when I was a baby. She took care of me while my mom was at work so I spent most of my days with her. You may remember the post here on the special tribute to my nana on her 91st birthday earlier this year.


Grandma and Grandpa Graham, 1946
During one of our visits to grandma's, Matt and I had asked her if she had any wedding advice for us. She just said to us… “ just love each other, treat each other right and never go to bed angry. I hope you two will be as happy as I was.” A simple message with so much meaning. We definitely took it to heart and have not forgotten her words.

Aside from the sadness of losing my grandmother, I also was able to say "I do" this year to my wonderful husband, Matthew. I have waited for so long for our wedding day and it was perfect in so many different ways. When you look back and the things that went "wrong," you realize that those little things really don't matter and definitely do not define your day. We were blessed to be surrounded by all the people who matter most to us - even though some of them could not be there.




We are sad to see 2012 come to an end, but also excited to see what 2013 will hold for us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment